Partners for the International Year of Crystallography 2014
The International Union of Crystallography
The International Union of Crystallography (IUCr, www.iucr.org) is an International Scientific Union and a member of ICSU. Its objectives are to promote international cooperation in crystallography and to contribute to all aspects of crystallography, to promote international publication of crystallographic research, to facilitate standardization of methods, units, nomenclatures and symbols, and to form a focus for the relations of crystallography to other sciences.
Role of IUCr Commissions
The Commissions of the International Union of Crystallography are responsible for the worldwide coordination of the activities and policies of different scientific disciplines and practices within the wide field of crystallography. They are encouraged to contribute to the International Year of Crystallography with initiatives and activities designed
- to increase the public awareness of crystallography
- to promote education in crystallography and its links to other sciences
- to increase the awareness of the way crystallography underpins most of the technological and medical developments in our modern society
- to illustrate the universality of science
- to foster international collaborations between scientists worldwide
Role of IUCr Regional Associates
Regional Associates of the International Union of Crystallography are umbrella organizations that coordinate the activities of national crystallographic associations on the scale of continents and similar large geographic regions. They are encouraged to contribute to the International Year of Crystallography with initiatives and activities such as the following.
- Link to the national crystallographic committees in the region
- Assist in the extraction and organization of material suitable for dissemination and teaching in crystallography
- Provide suitable material at national meetings
- Exhibits at science museums, science festivals …
- Organize a special Laue-Bragg session at the regional meeting
- Serve as coordinator of the material from national committees that should go at the website?
- Appoint a contact person that forms the link to the IUCr IYCr committee
- How to deal with the press?
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) will act for IYCr2014 through its International Basic Services Programme (IBSP). UNESCO contributes to the building of peace, the alleviation of poverty, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue through education, science, culture, and communication. In fulfilling its mission, UNESCO functions as a laboratory of ideas and a standard-setter to forge universal agreements on emerging ethical issues. The Organization also serves as a clearinghouse – for the dissemination and sharing of information and knowledge – while helping Member States to build their human and institutional capacities in diverse fields. Through these activities, UNESCO promotes international cooperation among its 195 Member States and 8 Associate Members. Its programmes in natural sciences focus on mobilizing science knowledge and policy for sustainable development in the areas of basic sciences, science education, ecological and earth sciences, water sciences and climate change. More information about UNESCO and its activities in the natural sciences is available at www.unesco.org/science.